Week Five Prompt Response: A conversation about different types of book reviews

Various publications, like Kirkus and Booklist, specialize in reviewing different types of books, allowing for diverse and tailored discussions within their bounds. To decide on a collection purchase, librarians rely on learning about a book in various ways. For e-books, when there just are not a lot of reviews, or any, it can cause librarians and patrons not to seek to purchase the e-book titles for the collection. A book budget is a limited resource, and it could be a gamble to purchase a title that has not been reviewed.

I know that at my library, our collection development policy says that we will not purchase e-books or books that have not been professionally reviewed. It has to do with fiscal responsibility, though independent, self-published authors do reach out to donate copies of their books. We do not take those book donations. I am not saying that this practice is right. I am just saying that this is how the library I work for handles these related situations.

One Wrapped Up in Books (2015) article said “It’s simply not efficient or cost-effective to acquire self-published books. They don’t often have existing records ready to add to the library’s catalog; these records have to be created” (para. 10).

Kirkus (2016) says the reader of Blood Crime will be “bored and nauseous” (para. 1). Technically, according to my library’s collection development policy, we could buy this book, because it is professionally reviewed.

Looking over the two reviews for the e-book, The Billionaire’s First Christmas, I do feel they are reliable, but I would not just take a recommendation from a single book review. I would compare book reviews to triangulate an answer to the question of whether the book is worth purchasing. I would not be likely to purchase this book for my library’s collection, because there are so many 4 and 5 star choices for holiday romance novels. I would purchase it if an active patron requested it though. We do host a patron-driven collection.   

Angela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt, looks like a homerun. I would purchase this for the library’s collection. Not only is it professionally reviewed by Kirkus, Library Journal, Booklist, and School Library Journal; another article in Maclean’s (1997) magazine listed Angela’s Ashes as number two of best nonfiction books (p. 11). This book has a Pulitzer Prize and was even made into a film.

I do not think it is fair that one type of book is reviewed to death and other types of books get little to no coverage, however I think this is a professional gap that librarians are aware of, especially when it comes to romance e-books. I think that BookTok is somewhat helping make up for this.

I discussed above how the library I work at will only purchase professionally reviewed books. I think it is fair that certain review sources will not print negative content. As there are many diverse viewpoints and tastes in this world, a book reviewer may read a book that was not intended for them. Just like different people being attracted to different appeals, different readers will appreciate different books.

I am not part of collection development for my library, but we consistently purchase based on book reviews and patron requests. Some of my favorite review sources are GoodReads and TikTok. I get most of my recommendations from listening to my colleagues talk about books.

 

References

Kirkus. (2016). Blood crime. https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/sebastia-alzamora/blood-crime/

Wickens, B. (1997). She’s back in orbit. Maclean’s, 110(35), 11.

Wrapped Up in Books. (2015). Why librarians don’t want to buy your self-published book. https://wrappedupinbooks.org/2015/08/17/why-librarians-dont-want-to-buy-your-self-published-book/ 



(Kirkus, 2016).


 

Comments

  1. I find it super interesting that your collection development policy states that items in your collection must be professionally reviewed. I have never seen this in a policy before! How do you feel about this policy? It seems like it could be biased to only those books that are by big name authors or from big publishers and a lot of really good stuff could get excluded.

    While I had considered the cost gamble of ebook only books, I had not considered the extra cataloging work that would have to be done for those types of materials, so thank you for bringing that up.

    Finally, I appreciate your thoughts on not publishing negative reviews. I had not considered them in the way that you did, that a negative review written by a person who simply read a book that wasn't for them could really impact a book's success. Thanks for providing some more food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, My library will help local authors who may have unreviewed books in other ways. For instance, we, at times, have given authors resources on how to get professionally reviewed. Other times, we have done local author fairs, where we host authors for a one-day event to help community members discover them.

      Delete
  2. Jackie, thanks for this really good and thorough post - it helps me think through the issue. I also am not involved in the collections side of things, and I also don't know how those decisions are made at my library. I have really mixed feelings about your library's position. I think deciding what books to add to the collection must be very hard. But I do feel bad for people who are trying to enter the publishing world. I would probably not support buying books from a self-published person, but I think the smaller publishing houses probably provide some really excellent literature for people, especially in genres that are not as popular, or maybe in some of those books that overlap genres.

    I think negative reviews would still be helpful, and since you talk about reading several reviews I feel like a person could just take that into consideration - thinking about WHAT is said, more than the overall negative view. But I know there are books on Goodreads (where I have read the most reviews) where the book gets 4 stars but I really do agree with the more negative reviews. What I'm trying to say is that there are some people who love the book and some who do not love it. And a library would probably want to have a book like that in its collection - libraries don't just buy books that everyone loves! So, in that sense, I think negative reviews wouldn't have to get in the way of purchasing a book.

    This is a complicated topic and new to me - thank you for giving me more to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie! I didn't even think about only professional reviews and ordering. My library has this policy for both books and eBooks, too! I can see where it is useful, but I disagree with it. Many good books would be missed since romance is looked down upon, and only popular books are reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, I agree that it is a complicated topic, and I think it is worth it to talk more about it.

      Delete
  4. Many libraries have similar practices - it's a gray area and I can see both sides of it. Great response and good discussion in the comments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts