My Personal Reading Profile

Let me tell you the tale of a 30-something mom of 3. She started as a newspaper reporter and now has worked for almost a decade in a library. All her friends are librarians, and she commutes to work an hour each day while attending graduate school full time online at night.

That is me, and honestly, I do most of my reading lately in my car. I listen to audiobooks on my commute to work with the Libby and OverDrive apps. While we are being honest, “most of my reading” lately includes library science studies, industry journals, and lessons on Canvas. I still have my guilty pleasures though.

Guilty Pleasures

I am so sorry to inform you that my average reading interests make most of my library friends’ noses wrinkle and their lips curl in disapproval. My favorite books to read include problematic romances. If it includes a grandiose love declaration, a man who is secretive or has trouble understanding his own feelings, and a tired, awful unexpected pregnancy trope, I probably like it.

Two books I’ve read recently were Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult and Verity by Colleen Hoover. Wish You Were Here was the first book I had ever read that included the COVID-19 pandemic in the plot. It was almost cathartic to look at the pandemic from other people’s perspectives, because it was a scary time with a lot of fear of the unknown for me too. Though I like these books, I would not defend the infidelity in either of them, even if one was imagined. (Spoiler alert.)

Two of my favorite series are the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer and the 50 Shades of Gray series by E. L. James. I have read them a few times, and I have heard all of the criticisms about them being poorly written. I still enjoy them. That is why I like to think of it as a guilty pleasure.

Inspirational Role Models

When I'm not reading romance novels, I am reading middle grade books with my 11-year-old daughter. We appreciate stories featuring strong female protagonists. Recently, we have enjoyed titles like Tiger Daughter by Rebecca Lim, The Van Gogh Deception by Devron Hicks, Spin with Me by Ami Polonsky, and Show Me a Sign by Ann Clare LeZotte. These narratives resonate with me, because they include diverse backgrounds, fostering empathy among readers in the middle grades and, hopefully, my daughter.

Adolescent Literature

A librarian friend of mine suggested that if I liked the Twilight series, I probably would like other YA novels. Some YA books that I have read for myself lately and liked were Out of Darkness by Ashley Hope Perez, You Should See me in a Crown by Leah Taylor, and Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I read Out of Darkness after I listened to an interview with the author on NPR about how they were banning it in schools. It is true what they say. When you ban a book, you just give it more attention.

I ended up liking Laini Taylor’s Smoke and Bone series so much, that I read the other books in the series as well. If you care to check them out, they are called Days of Blood and Starlight and Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor. I think it would make a good movie trilogy, but it would be expensive to do costuming for all of the chimaera.

I have two gripes about books featuring teen characters. The first is that authors often make teen characters unrealistically knowledgeable and worldly. The second is that the stories are sewn up so perfectly at the end. In my experience with conflict and tragedy, nobody turns around after a life of discriminating against people and says, “I guess you’re right. I should let my daughter have the same choices for education as I would if she was a son.”   

Outside My Comfort Zone

I am not totally opposed to science fiction. I enjoyed Binti by Nnedi Okorafor. I also enjoy fiction that is rooted in Greek mythology. I started reading Circe by Madeline Miller with my daughter, but I ended up finishing it separately. It was a bit too mature for her.

I rarely finish a book I do not like, but Florida by Lauren Groff was an exception. I read it for a book club. It was just too raw for me. I do not enjoy reading about starving kids and dysfunctional families where the kids get hurt in such detail.

Overall, I think it is good to try reading outside my comfort zone, and I have plenty of librarians around me to compare notes with. Wyatt (2019) said "Talk with readers, with fellow staff members, with colleagues about what they’re reading; check reserve queues to identify hot new authors and titles; keep track of genres and the most popular authors within them and read or familiarize yourself with them" (p. 5). 

The Classics

Going back a little bit farther, I really liked reading Dante’s Inferno by Dante Alighieri and The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck in college. As the years have passed, I have thought the most about these books. Movie depictions of the biblical afterlife often make more sense after having read about the circles of hell in Dante’s Inferno.  

Of all the books I have ever read, I think the most about The Good Earth. When my grandmother died and left her land to me, my sister, and a cousin, I thought a lot about how Wang Lung, the main character in The Good Earth, tried to leave his farmland to his sons. I thought about how they could not really conceive of what that land meant to him and how they made their plans to sell it.

References 

Wyatt, N. (2019). Listening to advisors : A conversation about readers’ advisory services, practice, and practicing. Reference & User Services Quarterly, 59(1), 2–6.


Comments

  1. Hello Jackie!
    I always say a guilty pleasure shouldn't be guilty! Love it openly and proudly! Especially when those series are so popular! Something I have noticed as I get older is that any fiction that was written for a female audience, especially for a young adult female audience, gets an insane amount of criticism. I think a lot of these attacks are based in misogyny, considering many books written by adult men have romance and fantasy tropes as well and they rarely face any backlash. So, tl;dr - read to your heart's desire!
    I appreciate your opinions on the problems with teen fiction. I feel that, when I was a teen and reading those books, I felt that I was as aware of the world as I was ever going to be. As an adult, I couldn't disagree more. Teen me didn't know a thing compared to adult me, and I am still learning! I appreciate YA fiction that allows the main character to stumble and make mistakes. I am glad we are moving away from the trope of the "perfect, strong, warrior princess" in YA fiction to characters that have scars, trip up sometimes, and can have short tempers. That aligns much closer with my teen experience than a battle-tested beauty queen that everyone swoons over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point about the young adult female audience. I did not think of it that way. Thank you for your comment, Olivia.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jackie!

    I am right there with you about my reading habits. For years, I have simply not had time to read for fun. All my reading has been consumed first with my undergrad work and then with my MLIS. This class will be such a therapeutic opportunity to read fiction books that I pick out and get to tell people (and myself most importantly) that it's for school and I have to devote time to it now!

    I also totally get keeping my reading habits to myself because I'm afraid people will have something judgy to say. I started reading The Mortal Instruments over winter break (i.e., when I had time to read for fun), but I found a lot more hate for them than I thought, and kept my thoughts to myself. But, when you find your people, it creates so much joy and eagerness to continue exploring new books.

    I also love classics! I took a British Lit class my freshman year of college and really fell in love with Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. I love listening to Old and Middle English readings (and trying to figure out what they're saying!), as well as getting into other classics like Greek and Roman Lit and 19th-century literature. I've always wanted to read Dante's Inferno! What did you like about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dante's Inferno is another one of those texts written as a poem in old English, so you would probably like it. I liked it, because it pulled together all the references to the nine circles of hell that I had ever encountered. It is the original text describing the circles of hell. It is actually a love story too. "The Divine Comedy" is the full book with "Dante's Inferno" being the first of three poems. Each circle of hell is reserved for a type of sinner, though the love story part of it is pretty tragic.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jackie! When I started reading primarily romance novels, I had to overcome the learned stigma surrounding them. I don’t know why or how but it seemed that once I became an adult it was expected that I only read to learn or read books that could result in deep philosophical conversations and while learning and philosophizing about books is great, sometimes (most of the time) you just need a feel good book that takes you out of your head for a bit. And what better way to do that than with a romance novel? Last year I read Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld which was my first experience of reading a book that took place during the pandemic. About a third of the book was exchanges between the characters over email because they couldn’t meet in person (and they were across the country from each other) and it was such an interesting way to portray the development of their relationship during this terrible time in the world.

    If you’re interested in reading more YA, I would recommend the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo and Rebecca Ross’ Letters of Enchantment duology (the first book is Divine Rivals). Both sets of books have light romance elements but nothing super explicit (they are YA after all). I totally get your gripe about teen characters being more grown and worldly than they should be, and while both sets of books do fall into that category, I think the well written stories make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reading recommendations Victoria. I will look them up.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jackie. I love the Twilight Series too. I didn't care what people had to say about the writing for both the Twilight and 50 Shades books. I really enjoyed reading them. Also, I echo Victoria's suggestion. I read Divine Rivals and it's totally worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent reading profile! I love how you broke it down into genres. Also, we love what we love. Never be ashamed! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts