Suspense Book Annotation: All Good People Here by Ashley Flowers


"She would gladly murder any one of their daughters right now

to have hers back for one more day." 

(Ashley Flowers, 2022).


Author: Ashley Flowers

Title: All Good People Here

Genre: Suspense / Thriller / Fiction

Publication Date: 2022

Number of Pages: 309

Geographical Setting: Wakarusa, Indiana

Time Period: 1994, 2019

Plot Summary: 

Wakarusa is a small town in Indiana where neighbors know each other and they talk – a lot. Two interrelated stories, from two different times, are being told here at a quick and twisting pace, and it is unclear at first how connected these two stories are. The first story is of young reporter, Margot Davies, who has just moved back to her home town to take care of her uncle Luke, who was diagnosed with dementia. The second is of January Jacobs. Similar to JonBenet Ramsey, she was a six-year-old beauty queen who disappeared in the 90s.

Unfortunately, it did not take long to find January’s body in a ditch. Margot has always been haunted by January’s story, as she was January’s neighbor and they were the same age. Now, another young girl, Natalie, has gone missing a town over. Her job could be in jeopardy if Margot does not let this trauma-fueled obsession go!

If you like crime podcasts and novels where characters cover up their wrong-doings to avoid becoming fodder for the local gossip mill, you may enjoy this book.

Things may not be what they seem. Pay attention to the facts of the story to see if you can guess the ending!


Subject Headings:

Women journalists - Fiction
Murder investigations - Fiction
Cold cases - Fiction 
Missing person - Fiction 


Appeal:

Pacing: fast-paced

"Adrenaline describes the fast-paced novels designed to quickly capture and sustain reader interest through action-filled plots and tense atmospheres" (Wyatt & Saricks, 2018, p. 24). 

Storyline: This book is told in chapters back and forth from Margot Davie's point a view to Krissy Jacobs's point of view. 

"For fans, the page-turning pace means that the violence something goes practically unnoticed"  (Wyatt & Saricks, 2018, p. 24).

Tone: An ominous feeling settles, with nervous parts where Margot is unsure if she is safe in her own home.

"Vivid details and building suspense add to the ominous atmosphere"  (Wyatt & Saricks, 2018, p. 24). 



3 Terms That Best Describe This Book: Investigative, Gripping, Intriguing 


Suspense Fiction Read-alikes:

(Click on the book covers to search WorldCat for holdings near you)


Sadie by Courtney Summers

Summers, C. (2018). Sadie. New York: Wednesday Books. 

Common appeals: Missing girl, Detective stories, Small town, Contemporary 


Then She was Gone by Lisa Jewell 

Jewell, L. (2018). Then she was gone. New York: Atria Books. 

Common appeals: Cold cases, Missing children, Suspicion 




Just the Nicest Couple by Mary Kubica

Kubica, M. (2023). Just the Nicest Couple. Park Row Books. 

Common appeal: Missing persons, Secrecy, Spouses



True Crime Read-alikes

(Click on the book covers to search WorldCat for holdings near you)  


Lay Them to Rest by Laurah Norton 

Norton, L. (2023) Lay them to rest: On the road with the cold case investigators who identify the nameless. Hachette Books. 

Common appeals: Cold cases, Murder victims, Crime



The Fact of a Body
by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich

Marzano-Lesnevich, A. (2017). The fact of a body. New York: Flatiron Books. 

Common appeals: Family secrets, Murder, Crime



Behold the Monster
by Jillian Lauren

Lauren, J. (2023). Behold the monster. Sourcebooks. 

Common appeals: Serial murder investigation, Murder victim, Crime




References

Flowers, A. (2022). All good people here. New York: Bantam Books. 

Wyatt, N. & Saricks, J. G. (2018). The readers' advisory guide to genre fiction: Third edition. American Library Association. 

Comments

  1. I find it funny that you and I, both romance lovers, chose to read thrillers. I read The Coworker by Frieda McFadden It's interesting to me how similar our books are in appeal (or not so surprising after all, they are thrillers and have their things). Both of us also read books that included characters trying to cover things up so their social standing doesn't take a hit (even if they're well deserved, because it definitely was well-deserved in my book), characters feeling unsafe in their own home, different points of view, etc. I wonder if these tend to show up more in thriller books with missing persons, rather than other kinds of plots.

    Do you think your book turned you into a thriller fan? I can't say mine did (I've read at least two romances since reading The Coworker LOL), but I'll probably keep watching these kinds of tv shows with my wife because she's definitely a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, I did enjoy All Good People Here, but I would not say that I am a fan of thrillers. My family is from a small town in Indiana, so I have that connection. I am open to giving thrillers more chances though. After reading your annotations on The Coworker, I want to read it. Would you say Dawn Schiff is a fictional autistic-coded character? It sounded like she might be based on your plot summary.
      I jumped right into Fourth Wing after this book to clean my palate, but I couldn't put it down and ended up reading both available books in the series. Fourth Wing is a fantasy book, but there is romance in there too.

      Delete
  2. I have to know how you felt about the ending! I definitely wanted to throw my kindle across the room, but after I sat with it I didn't hate it as much as some people did.

    What resources did you use to find nonfiction read-alikes? I found this to be the hardest part of the assignment, especially since I don't read a ton of nonfiction. I also like how you have the book covers linked to WorldCat! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abigail, It was a waste! What a cliff hanger! I was so mad. To find my nonfiction read-alikes I looked for books by true crime podcasters. NoveList helped the most, but I did some Googling too. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Ashley Flowers hosts (hosted?) a true crime podcast, right? I think it's neat that someone who has devoted part of their career to true crime turned to write a fictional thriller based on cold cases. Do you think her background benefitted her writing? Since Margot is a journalist in the novel, I'm betting she based some of her writing off her own experience (assuming she does/did her own research for the podcast, haha. I suppose she could just be a host).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacob,

      Yeah, Ashley Flowers is still hosting Crime Junkie podcast. I read this last January and I enjoyed it, but almost too much like the Jon Benet Ramsey case. You'd think with all the research and cases she's covered she could come up with someone else? I don't know. It was just odd to me.

      I'm curious to hear what Jackie thought too!

      Delete
  4. Excellent annotation! I've been meaning to read this one! I love your summary and all the info you included. I also love the direct links to Worldcat!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts