Relationship Fiction Book Annotations: People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry

 

“Because I will never again feel as alone as I did during those long nights as a kid. As long as I have him, I will never be alone again” (Henry, 2021, p. 182). 


Author: Emily Henry

Title: People We Meet on Vacation

Genre: Relationship Fiction

Publication Date: 2021

Number of Pages: 364

Geographic Setting: Palm Springs California; New York City, New York; Linfield, Ohio; Chicago, Illinois; Vancouver Island; Nashville, Tennessee; San Francisco, California; New Orleans, Louisiana; Vail, Colorado; Sanibel Island, Florida

Time Period: Summers ten years ago through present day

Plot Summary: Poppy and Alex are an unlikely pair with seemingly little in common. She's a free spirit who wears chunky plastic earrings, while he's the khaki-wearing, book-loving homebody that works out every morning. Despite their differences, a chance car ride from college ten years ago leads to a true friendship that transcends the miles between their current lives in New York City and Linfield, Ohio. Every summer for a decade, they've shared an amazing week of vacation, until a falling out two years ago that left them not talking.

Stuck in a life that seems perfect with expensive trips but lacks true fulfillment, Poppy reflects on the last time she was truly content. It was when they were together. Determined to mend their friendship, Poppy convinces Alex to embark on one more vacation together, hoping to reconcile. Against the odds, he agrees, because he has to go to his brother’s wedding in California anyway.

Now, with just a week to repair the damage, Poppy faces the challenge of confronting the truth that has quietly lingered at the core of their seemingly flawless relationship. Through back spasms, broken air conditioning, and flat tires, Poppy must find a way to reconcile not only with Alex but also with the fundamental reality that has long been unspoken between them.


Subject Headings:

Travel Writers – Fiction

Teachers – Fiction

Best Friends - Fiction

Vacations – Fiction

Reconciliation – Fiction

Self-realization – Fiction

Friendship – Fiction

 

Appeals:

Characterization: Emotional link between old friends

“Relationship fiction tells emotion-based stories revolving around character’s arc of personal development” (Wyatt & Saricks, 2019, p. 196).

Tone: Comfortable, Supportive, and Nostalgic

“The tone these books convey in not only a major appeal, it is a unifying aspect of Relationship Fiction, supportive, sympathetic novels that have a gentleness about them” (Wyatt & Saricks, 2019, p. 196).

Story Line: Character driven

“These novels are high drama, inner conflict, and domestic disrepair played out on a small, intimate scale, reflecting the trials and concerns of everyday life” (Wyatt & Saricks, 2019, p. 196).

Pacing: Easy to fall into; Quick reads

“Engrossing and compelling are likely terms advisors turn to when discussing the pacing of Relationship Reads. These are not rocket reads, and the events unfold leisurely. That being said, the stories are uniformly easy to fall into” (Wyatt & Saricks, 2019, pp. 198-199).

 

3 Terms that best describe the book: Dynamic friendship, Rekindled connections, Vacation

 

3 Relevant Fiction Works:

(Click on the book covers to search WorldCat for holdings near you)



Kamila Knows Best by Farah Heron

Heron, F. (2022). Kamila knows best. Blackstone. 

Common Appeals: Man-woman relationships, Self-acceptance, Contemporary women



Wanderlust by Elle Everhart

Everhart, E. (2023). Wanderlust: A novel. New York: J.B. Putnam's and Sons. 

Common Appeals: Man-woman relationships, Vacations, Romance fiction


The Rewind by Allison Winn Scotch

Scotch, A.W. (2022). The rewind. Penguin Publishing Group. 

Common appeals: Man-woman relationships, Romance fiction, Together again

 

3 Relevant Nonfiction Works:

(Click on the book covers to search WorldCat for holdings near you)


Palm Springs: A Modernist Paradise by Tim Street-Porter

Street-Porter, T. (2018). Palm Springs: A Modernist Paradise. New York: Rizzoli International Publications.

Common appeals: Palm Springs California, Vacations, Travel



Vail: Triumph of a Dream by Peter Seibert, William Oscar Johnson, and Jean Claude Killy

Seibert P. W. Johnson W. O. & Killy J. C. (2000). Vail: triumph of a dream (1st ed.). Mountain Sports Press in conjunction with Vail Resorts Management.

Common appeals: Vail Colorado, Vacations, Travel




A Place for Us by Brandon J. Wolf

Wolf, B. (2023). A place for us: A memoir. New York: Little A.

Common appeals: Self-realization, Forgiveness, LGBTQ+ Relationships

 

References

Henry, E. (2021). People we meet on vacation. New York: Jove.  

Wyatt, N. & Saricks, J. G. (2019). The readers' advisory guide to genre fiction: Third edition. American Library Association.

 


Comments

  1. Hi Jackie,

    I'm not very familiar with the Relationship genre; how about you? Is this your first foray into it (for this class), or have you read the genre before?

    The summary for this title has me interested in where the plot goes, plus I like that it is both character-driving with a supportive tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like relationship genre reads. They are easy, and there is not so much commitment. With horor, you have to be ready to cringe. With romance, you have to be ready for big issues. Relationship reads are easy. I could have read this book through in one sitting if I had the time. I was reading it in the break room, and my boss asked me what I was reading. I guess I was smiling while reading it. Now she's reading this book.
      The main characters are really good friends, but their significant others are bothered by the fact that it is a man-woman friendship.
      I do recommend this book.

      Delete
  2. Jackie, thanks this post - this sounds like a really good book that not only will be fun to read, but will probably make me think about myself and my relationships. I don't think of myself as reading relationship genre books, but I really have accidentally read some and always enjoyed them. I like that they have the relationship aspect but are not as heavy with it as a romance. Or maybe I just think relationships are what last when the romance is over, so that's what I'm interested in. I like to see how characters relate. I just like that while I'm reading about a historical event or a mystery. But now I'm asking myself "why?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I don't usually read books like this but this sounds like such a wholesome and fun book I feel like it would be a great book for cleansing your book pallet or, as the first book to read to rest your brain after a year of classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree. It is a pallet cleanser. I read this book between Iron Flame by Rebecca Yarros and ACOTAR. I am reading a book now that is about a relationship between an octopus and an aquarium cleaning woman. I feel like it is Finding Nemo for grown ups. Very strange. I am giving some more time though to prove to me why it was recommended to me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts