SECRET SHOPPER

    Using my local public library branch, where I am just another patron, I went to the reference desk and asked for help finding a good book. I found that the librarian I spoke to was excited to be asked about good books. She asked me what I had read recently, and she asked me to pick a genre. She asked me if I liked tragic books. She also asked me about whether I would be able to access e-books through Libby, Hoopla, and Boundless. As she looked up titles, she went back and forth between Novelist Plus, the library catalog, and the New York Times Best Sellers list as her readers’ advisory tools. She spent a reasonable amount of time making eye contact and making me feel welcome. She also pointed out recommended reads bookmarks that were on the reference desk for fantasy and romance.

    The librarian did successfully find a good book for me to read. I was able to find the audiobook Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas on Hoopla as a 20-day loan. A critique of this readers’ advisory interview is that the librarian did not exactly identify what I, as the reader, considered to be romance. She, instead, took the approach of giving me titles from different types of romance novels.

    It was not obvious when the readers’ advisory interview was over, so I had to almost cut her off before she went on. The librarian did give me quite a few titles I could try. As I was taking a lot of notes, I think she sensed I was very committed to finding a title and wanted to make sure I found one. She was also very excited to talk about the fantasy genre. She did not specifically invite me back to speak to her again if I needed help finding anything, but I did say I would return. So, I do not count it against her that she did not invite me back.


Comments

  1. Overall, that sounds like a pretty good experience! It's nice to hear that the librarian seemed excited to help, made you feel welcome, and that they made eye contact while they spoke with you. It's the seemingly little things that really make a difference when conversing with someone (whether library-related or not). I also like that the librarian directed you to additional, physical resources in the recommended reads bookmarks.

    May I ask how you knew what tools they were using? Did the librarian mention them while researching, or did you specifically ask? Also, it seems a little disappointing that they did not clarify with you what you deem as romance, but at least they offered a selection of different types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maryanne, I was pretty subtle in determining what software the librarian was using. The reference desk is in the middle of the floor, and it was set up so I could go through the brochures they had out while glancing over her shoulder some.
      To be super honest, I'm not even sure what I deem to be romance, but the textbook talked about having that conversation. So, I thought it was worth mentioning.

      Delete
  2. It's awesome to see that you had a good experience with visiting your library!

    My friend just finished the A Court of Thorns and Roses series and we are planning a time to do a buddy re-read of the series together! I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone else I've talked to about it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check it out, and I am terribly wrapped up in it. I read A Court of Thorns and Roses, A Court of Mist and Fury, A Court of Wings and Ruin, and A Court of Frost and Starlight in the past week.

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear you had an overall good experience! I like that you pointed out that the librarian made eye contact throughout the interview. I remember that being something we talked a lot about in S501 - Information Resources and Services. How important eye contact and body language are when interacting with patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to read that you had a good experience overall! It sounds like she was very intentional, using multiple tools while still making an effort to engage you - I imagine this can be difficult in both directions; you want the patron to feel welcome and attended to, but you also need to extend your attention to the actual search.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a good experience. It sounded like she tried using all her resources to find a good book for you. She also sounds like she was attempting to find a book using all her resources, including eBooks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts